Skip to main content

First Semester Reflection

PART I.
  1. I feel that my images for the most part have reflected a good amount of quality and effort. I’ve noticed that the images that I like the most are the ones that requite creativity and thought (I.e. the Blue project, the Three Doors project, etc.). This could be due to my incessant need to take each concept given and transform it in a way no one in this class (in particular) will. However, my quality drastically decreased when I was asked to perform more menial tasks such as the Hotel coloring project, or the project in which we divided a canvas into ninths and applied filters to them. However, I have always reached the deadlines on all assignments, no matter what type they are. With every creativity-based assignment, I make it my intention to take it further than the prompt given. I hope that I have achieved my goals (especially my blue and reflection of the future images), because my main goal is to not settle for the first idea or the most simple solution. My ego won’t let me settle, especially in a class as easy (relatively) as this. In other news, I have always stuck to proper format and resolution.
  2. When you gave me critical advice on my initial blue project, I reshot it, and it got a special outline when we were walking around the room. When talking about subjects, I usually use my brother because he is enthusiastic and wants to be an actor, so he will act in anything I make. I will sometimes create a setup for my projects, but I feel that convenience can add to quality if done correctly. I put quite a bit of effort into some projects (such as looking for materials for my look into the future project, my blue project, and my fear project), and that requires a bit of planning and setup. I usually shoot more than is required, testing out different lightings. If I have an idea that is reasonable (for example, a shot of a person jumping off of a skyscraper is not reasonable), I will go through great means to take those shots. I will gather the materials necessary and complete the project as planned. I rarely avoid ideas that could get me some attention, and I have never given up on a photoshoot (save for my first draft of the blue project). I feel that I take many conceptual risks (such as my fear project, or my blue project), because without explaining them in full people may come to the wrong conclusions or just give up on trying to understand them. I have a more positive attitude towards my own projects, especially when I get noticed for them. For example, I was really proud of my halloween project until no one voted for it. It was only then I started to like it a little less. In my humble opinion, it was probably the most thought out image there, even if it wasn’t the most visually appealing. I have a weird relationship with the other students’ work in this class… I feel as if the lot of them don’t try very hard, and when I walk around the room I see cookie cutter images of the same exact thing! I feel like it shouldn’t be hard to outdo everyone, but when they walk by my images and don’t stand next to them, I wonder if they just don’t get it or they’re drawn to the prettiest thing. Maybe it’s a combination of both. In short, I have a mixed attitude. I will happily accept any feedback on my work, and I will support my fellow photographers if they’re serious about their work. From my experience walking around this class, I don’t feel that anyone else is.
  3. I have never been late to class, and most class periods I work on whatever is needed for the period. However, when I have nothing to do, I will turn to schoolwork to keep me busy. I always turn my projects in on time, so my independent plan of working on the most recent photography project until it’s uploaded has been working.
  4. The only thing that I feel differentiates me from other photographers is that I try to consistently go beyond the prompt given and make people come to their own conclusions when they view my work. That is the only way one could tell my works are different from the rest. Does this fit into the prompt? Yes. Did anyone else think of this? No. Perhaps I could use composition tips more often, because when shooting this quarter I tend to forget about things such as the rule of thirds and technical photography tips. I sort of feel like I could also improve by finding a way to make my images more obvious to the viewer, but I feel that ambiguity lets the viewer decide what it is, and it adds to the charm.
  5. I am going to focus a lot more on composition without sacrificing my roots. I feel that if I stop being competitive that the quality of my work will decrease, so I really cannot stop.

PART II.

  1. I don’t have an assignment suggestion so I will instead opt for a pass that will let me voice my suggestions to you when I think of them. Also, something that involves food would be nice. I am always hungry.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Narrative Project

Smile Project

Climbing Face Response 2

I was fooled by the first image! I really thought the man on the string was an artistic choice.  I I were to record this image in detail, I would say that this is a close-up image of a girl. This girl is expressionless, but whatever angle you look at her, she is staring directly at you. This image has more of a natural tone, and there is no color that necessarily pops out. Her skin looks quite coarse and uneven, and her lips are greatly chapped or dry. She may have some makeup on. I feel as if this is a closeup of her face on purpose, to make the viewer pay attention to the detail that lies within and subsequently become uncomfortable. If she was standing in the distance, there would be no detail and this feeling of personal space being violated wouldn’t be there. However, if this was just a closeup of her eye, I would just see an eye because that has been done many times before. For some reason, people really like drawing and photographing eyes. There is something off about her,